Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:54:03 -0700
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bug/problem with gdm-2.2.5.5

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 03:48  PM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 18:43, Mark Edwards wrote:
>> I think I've tracked down a fairly annoying bug with the gdm port.
>>
>> I install the port on top of the full gnome install, having already
>> created
>> a gdm user/group with id's of 92 (I need to do this because ID 91 gets
>> taken by the mail/mailman port).
>
> This is no longer needed.  I committed a patch to use 92 across the
> board.

When did you do this?  I just cvsup'd my ports tree two days ago, and gdm
refused to install unless I first made a user/group gdm with 92 myself.

>> Upon first boot, it is possible to run gdmconfig from the gdm login panel.
>>    However, after a change is made to the configuration, running gdmconfig
>> results in a freeze which requires killing the gdmconfig process from
>> another machine.
>>
>> What seems to be happening is gdmconfig is changing this line from
>> gdm.conf:
>>
>> Willing=/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Xwilling
>>
>> to:
>>
>> Willing=
>>
>> If that config line is blank, gdmconfig will crash.  If I replace the line
>> with the original, gdmconfig boots again, but changing the configuration
>> results in the line getting messed-up again.
>>
>> This didn't used to happen with an earlier version of the port.  Is this
>> just a bug in gdm?  Is this a bug in the port?
>
> My Willing line is blank, and I don't see any problems.  How do you
> start gdm?

 From my /etc/ttys:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on

I've also been able to crash gdmconfig by changing

GtkRC=/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/../themes/Default/gtk/gtkrc

GtkRC=/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/../themes/Metal/gtk/gtkrc

Changing it back to "Default" stopped the crashing.  I don't know what
could be different on my end, but this stuff is 100% repeatable.

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA