Date:      23 Aug 2002 16:27:44 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USE_GNOMENG or GNOME1_ONLY?

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 15:37, Franz Klammer wrote:
> Am Mi, 2002-08-21 um 21.00 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> > On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 14:23, Franz Klammer wrote:
> > > while changing the file_menu_applet to USE_GNOMENG i've seen
> > > the this port works with gnome1 only.
> > >
> > > should i add a gnome2-check (eg. if gnomepanel resp. gnomecore is
> > > installed) or is a GNOME[1|2]_ONLY knob planned?
> > >

> > > i hope this is correct:
> > > USE_GNOME=      gnomeprefix gnomehack gnomelibs libpanel
> > >
> > > attached a adapted version from the gnome2/pkg-install - script
> > > and the Makefile i plan use.
> >
> > Funny you should bring this up.  I've just committed the new FreeBSD
> > GNOME porting guide with GNOMENG support.  Until the web site is
> > updated, you can get it from http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome.
> >
> > I was thinking about this kind of thing this morning for gaim, and I
> > thought of checking to see if
> > ${X11BASE}/libdata/pkgconfig/libpanelapplet-2.0.pc exists.  If it does,
> > disable GNOME support.  Since your port requires GNOME 1 panel support,
> > something similar to what you're doing is probably a good idea.  Except,
> > you may not want to check for gnomecore as there is a chance it may not
> > be installed when your port is built (you only need libpanel after all).
> >

> another idea:
>
> when i change the message that this port can/should only be installed
> when a full/running gnome1-system is already installed - which implies
> gnomecore?
>
> gnomecore is a RUN_DEPENDS for this port and i think it doesn't
> make sense to
>
>  - add gnomecore as RUN_DEPENDS
>  - install it when gnomecore is not installed.

I agree.  A port should never depend on gnomecore anymore (except the
gnome meta-port).

The problem with checking for GNOME 1/2 components at make time is that
it doesn't scale to packages.  That's why your pkg-install idea is
good.  Check for libpanelapplet, and if it exists, complain.  The logic
being here, that libpanelapplet can exist in the presence of libpanel,
but can't exist in the presence of gnomecore.  Therefore if
libpanelapplet exists, gnomecore does not.

Joe