Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:34:12 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: E-mail server

On Saturday 23 November 2002 10:30 pm, Damien Hull wrote:
> I've decided to use squirrelmail as my web based mail client. Because I
> get a lot of mail I need a way of sorting my mail through squirrelmail.
> For this the squirrelmail people have provided a procmail interface.
>
> The problem with the procmail interface is that it uses ftp to change
> the users procmail settings.
>
> Is there another way of sorting mail through squirrelmail or any other
> web based mail client? I don't want to run ftp on my server.

I'm not sure exactly what your setup is, but, all you are doing is changi=
ng=20
each user's .procmailrc file. I assume that hacking squirrelmail to use a=
=20
more secure protocol like scp is not easily done, so perhaps you would be=
=20
better off writing an HTML form that inputs the rules each user wants to=20
implement and then write some PHP code to formulate the rules in .procmai=
lrc=20
format and scp to transfer them to the user's .promailrc file. If you use=
=20
private/public key encryption with private and public keys, you can make =
this=20
seamless (not ask for a password for each transfer, etc).

Well.it's one way of doing it...you may get better answers.
-Jim