Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:37:33 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/48708: mail/balsa2 link error

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>>From: Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
>> This is utterly confusing.  I have done a forced reinstall of both
>> aspell and ispell.  My ports treee is up-to-date.  I do all work with
>> portupgrade.  What more do I need to do?  You haven't addressed the
>> problem of why balsa2 has decided to go out on a limb with all this
>> pspell junk.
> balsa2 compiles and works just fine.  It always has.  I don't know where
> your build is picking up pspell-impl, but I haven't reproduced this on
> any of my machines.  This may be another problem with your
> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg libs.  You might try cleaning out that entire
> directory, and see if things improve.

balsa2 has almost never compiled for me.  It seems to only serve to
block the fifth-toe from succeeding...

> As for balsa2 needing pspell (well, aspell actually), this has always
> been the case even back to balsa 1.x.  There has never been a problem
> that I have encountered.

I had to perform the following:

pkg_delete -f aspell... ispell... balsa2...
find /usr/local -name *spell* -depth -print | xargs rm -rf
portinstall balsa2

I could not find any reference to anything ending in -impl anywhere on
my system.  There were no *spell* libraries anywhere in compat/pkg.
After killing the packages, there were several left-over files in
/usr/local/share and maybe something in /usr/local/include, but I could
not see how any of the files left-over could have caused the system to
try to link with non-existant libraries.

I'm sure that somewhere along the way I hit some sort of upgrade point
in aspell that didn't clean up after itself...It is really hard to
detect when this happens and fix it...

Thanks for your help.

/Joe