Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 04:15:34 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Second stab at X.Org 6.8.1 update

On Saturday 23 of October 2004 23:12, Eric Anholt wrote:
> I won't make any changes to the diff for a bit, so you can do XFree86
> bits.

They are merged with your patch here:
http://www.ijs.si/~lesi/xorg-681-up-4c.diff

While modifying imake-4 is enough to avoid html manpages being installed, that
works only for upgrading with up-to-date imake-4 port. As this tends to be
forgotten, I've also explicitly modified others to not install html. While
this affects package contents, I don't think that it affects users enough to
warrant PORTREVISION bump, but I still don't have a proper feeling for that.

> I also need to figure out what to do about DRI.  I want to move
> us over to Mesa snapshots.  The reason is that DRI driver development
> happens much faster than X releases, and there's never a stable release
> -- something just escapes.  Mesa snapshots will let us update when
> important changes are made and things are feeling stable, and let people
> build them from a much smaller source tarball than the hideous
> monolithic tree.  The problem is that there's a libGL incompatibility,
> so that the new drivers won't work on an old libGL (it's a bug, but it's
> a bug that nobody's fixed in 3 months or so).  Because of this, I'm
> thinking of repocopying graphics/dri to graphics/xfree86-dri, making it
> use xfree86 sources again, and make graphics/dri be Mesa snapshots.
> graphics/dri-devel would die.

Makes sense. I'll dig up xfree-dri port I have somewhere then.

Dejan