Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:45:37 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        sub01@freeode.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Shell Games

On Thursday 30 December 2004 06:09 pm, Mike Jeays
<Mike.Jeays@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 20:15, John Murphy wrote:
> > Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com> wrote:
> > >My personal preference is Bash. It is readily available on most
> > > Unixes, and has a good selection of features.  I don't so much
> > > like the csh/tcsh family, which have a somewhat different syntax.
> >
> > I particularly like the history mechanism which is enabled for the
> > default csh/tcsh with FreeBSD.  The recent usage of any command is
> > recalled by typing a few letters and then up arrow.  Bash probably
> > can do it too and would have similar 'TAB' file name completion.
> >
> > But then - I remember thinking doskey was cool :)
>
> Bash has very similar features.  Most of the shells have borrowed the
> good ideas from others, and you can compare this with evolutionary
> convergence - good ideas tend to persist and be re-used.  Bash and
> TCSH share features for the same reason that fish and dolphins are
> similar shapes - it it the best solution to a problem.

Incidentally, my favorite shell is zsh, which is a bit of a kitchen sink
approach, but it's quite powerful. It's intended to be a superset of
ksh, but it incorporates many features of ksh, Bash and tcsh. Most
people I know who started out in the *nix world running Linux prefer
Bash, because that's the default shell. Like others have said, it
doesn't really matter that much what shell you prefer, as long as you
learn the one you have and know it's strengths/weaknesses and can work
with them.

- jt