Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 10:03:24 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Pleschutznig, Andreas" <Andreas.Pleschutznig@Schwab.COM>
Cc:        "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600?

> Has anybody already been successful in installing FreeBSD on an IBM Thinkpad
> 600? And if yes what did you do to make this happen?

Yes.  The first thing you need to to is set the syscons flags to 0x10 in
the kernel configuration, in order for the keyboard to work.  Also, some
folks have had difficult installing with more than 64MB of memory, so
you may have to remove it to install.

Once it's installed, you need to build a custom kernel with MAXMEM set
to the value printed out at boot-time.  FreeBSD over-estimates the
amount of memory used in the system, which causes the box to be very
unstable.  (It refuses to boot, etc..)

Other than that it works *very* well.  I'm using 2.2.8-stable on mine,
although I had to make a patch for my PCCARD controller which will be in
3.2.

I highly recommend the ThinkPads.  I've been using them for 5 years now,
and I've had nary a bit of problems with them that couldn't be
contributed to dropping them on the floor. :)

Nate