Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:08:36 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        sven@dmv.com
Cc:        koitsu@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-machine mirroring choices

> The *big* issue I have right now is dealing with the slave machine going
> down. Once the master no longer has a connection to the ggated devices,
> all processes trying to use the device hang in D status. I have tried
> pkill'ing ggatec to no avail and ggatec destroy returns a message of
> gctl being busy. Trying to ggatec destroy -f panics the machine.

Oddly enough, this was the issue I had with iscsi which made me move
to using ggated instead. On our machines I use '-t 10' as an argument to
ggatec, and this makes it timeout once the connection has been down for
a certain amount of time. I am using gmirror on top, not ZFS, and this
handled the drive vanishing from the mirror quite happily. I haven't
tried it with ZFS, which may not like having the device suddenly dissapear.

-pete.