Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:44:45 -0800
From:      "Colin Dick" <cdick@ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 Install on an older Mac Mini

Hello again,
  Well, it has been a couple weeks and I had a couple positive responses that if I can just get FreeBSD installed, the
rest of the maintenance should be quite similar to i386 based systems, so I have tried again.
  I saw a few posts from Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> that seemed to have useful information, however, I still
cannot seem to get this system installed.

I boot with a Mac Install 10.3.7 disk (my 10.4.5 install disk kernel panics)
I enter the Installer -> Open Disk Utility system
I select my drive (37.3 GB TOSHIBA MK4025GAS
I select the Partition option and choose
  Volume Scheme: 1 partition
  Name: FreeBSD
  Format: Unix File System
  Size 37.26GB
  Click the "Partition" option
  Confirm that I understand information will be destroyed
    This disk has 1 volume: "disk0s3"
    Click "Partition"
It seems to do its thing (Creating Partition Map) to create the slice
  It does not include the OFW partition fortunately which I think is disk0s2??
  So, I now have a blank slice I think
Quit Disk Utility
Quit Installer [Quit]
Boot to OFW and 'eject cd'
I boot the FreeBSD 7.0 disk (PPC bootonly ISO)
Run through the initial screens to select country etc...
Sysinstall asks to create partitions and recognizes ad0 (s2 is OWM 8MB I think and s3 38145M)
  so I use the default "A"
    512 /
    2020 SWAP
    2034 /usr
    512 /tmp
    33066 /usr
I choose Developer install without ports
I choose FTP media for install
My machine is online and initially tries to make new root filesystem
  After awhile, "Error mounting /dev/ad0s3 on /mnt : Operation not permitted [OK]
  Unable to mount the root file system on /dev/ad0s3! Giving up. [OK]
  Couldn't make filesystems properly. Aborting. [OK]
  In the F2 console
    /dev/ad0s3: 38145.8MB (78122672 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
        using 208 cylinder groups of 183.72MB, 11758 blks, 23552 inodes.
    super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
      There are a bunch of numbers here....

  That is as far as it gets.  What am I not understanding?  What am I doing wrong?  This seems to be the same thing that
happens whether I boot with the install disk and create the (blank) partition or if I try to install over the existing
MacOS X?
  It was interesting playing with this Mac with no Mac experience.  Neat tricks I had to learn were how to eject the
disk when the machine couldn't/would boot or when I didn't have my mouse hooked up.  I ended up booting to OpenFirmware
(alt+cmd+o+f after my wireless microsoft keyboard was sync'd) and then issuing 'eject cd'.  This has certainly been a
bit of a frustrating learning experience... but I think I am making progress and quite interested now in completing this
challenge.

--
Colin

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 05:00:14 +1100, Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote