Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:29:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
To:        Andrew <perl@ukrpost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL, BSD, Artistic license

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Andrew wrote:

> Hello All.
>
>   Can  anyone  explain  me  some  points  of  GPL.  What  if I develop
> application that doesn't use any GPL/LGPL libraries. I want to make it
> available  under  GPL.  The  software  package is fully functional and
> distributed  in  source  codes.  I offer the software with support and
> installation  for some fee. There are optional add-ons: windows client
> developed  with  another  free  compiler  and  web administration tool
> developed  in  Perl  (or  PHP).  I want to distribute those add-ons on
> commercial  basis  only. The main package contains some code, required
> for  addons.  Is  that  conforms to GPL (and Artistic license for Perl
> module)? What if there will be two versions of main package available:
> Lite  (GPL,  no  code  for  addons)  and  Pro  (commercial, addons and
> appropriate code in main package included)??
>
>   And now the same questions for BSD license.

My LUG had a meeting on this topic about a year ago.  It's is open for
interpretation, not cut and dry.  My understanding of the situation, is
that:
A is GPL software

B can be non-GPL if it calls A like an external runtime library or
connects to it with TCP/IP or reads its output or anything like that.

The problem is when B reqires A to compile.  In this case B must be GPL.
Of course, since _all_ the source code of A is GPL, if B needs any part of
A to compile, B must be GPL.

The way around this is to remove the common part into a third library, so
A, which is GPL, requires C, which is not.  That's fine.
B, which is not GPL, requires c, which is also not.  That's fine.

DDDD   David Kramer         david@thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Python is executable pseudocode
DK KD  Perl is executable line noise
DDDD                                                             Bruce Eckel