Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:41:31 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

On Jan 14, 2024, at 15:15, Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>=20
>> I seriously care about having a lack of access times.
>=20
> Then, I think elaborating on your use cases would be valuable to the =
discussion, if by chance you want to and can share about them.

I'm confused: I go to the trouble to produce the same end result
as your suggested change of defaults would produce, ending up
with no recording of access times. Nothing about that of itself
implies that I'd want the defaults for mount notation or /etc/fstab
notation or the like changed --or that I'd want them unchanged.
To narrow of a context for such a judgment about defaults.

In case the potential confusion is involved, I'll quote another
reply that I just made relative to more potential use of notime:

QUOTE
I've not reported any objection to bsdinstall having explicit
choices required in its menus. Nor to changing how, say,
official snapshots are generated (so long as well notified
and documented). If my wording was unclear on that, I'm sorry.

My focus was on things like mount command notation and
/etc/fstab notation (that tracks mount defaults) or subroutine
interface equivalents of such things and changing their
behavior without requiring changing the notation already in
place in various files.

(I've tried to word the above without making new points,
avoiding contributing more to the bike shed material.)
END QUOTE

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com