Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 16:48:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Pass for now.<g>  My noodle needs rest and diffs make me dizzy.  %-S
>
> Well, I'm getting so little feedback on this that I'm just going to go
> ahead with it in the next few days.  People clearly aren't all that
> interested in actually trying it out *before* it's committed, so hey,
> they'll just have to try it out afterwards whether they like it or
> not. :-)

I had a brief look at it yesterday, but it was a public holiday and I
tried to do as little work as possible.  The rc.conf looks fine, sort of
like sysconfig without the comments.

As for a fancy tool for editing rc.conf (for those who are vi-impaired),
what about the visual userconfig code in the kernel.  It looks like a
possible starting point, since it has exploding sections and could even
have help pages available.

Mike, how hard do you think it would be to rework userconfig.c to handle
rc.conf instead of devices?  My thoughts in this direction are that it
would be nice to have a text-window-based rc.conf editor as well as Tcl
editor for those running X.  The alternatives are libdialog and something
completely different.  Jordan has grumbled about libdialog in the past,
and I don't see his opinion changing in a hurry.

Danny