Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2013 22:01:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dvd recorder & audio cd problems

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:16:29 -0700 (PDT), Beeblebrox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> Regarding audio playback via cdcontrol ... requires a seperate internal
> >> wiring (CD audio wire) to the sound card.
>
> Thanks: Using an older dvd drive, so that's probably the problem. On my
> linux I once had that cable to the mobo.

The ability to transmit audio via "data lines" has been present
already with parallel ATA drives. I'm not sure how this is handled
with SATA, but I assume it's done similarly because the internal
CD audio connectors (and worse, the respective cables) do not seem
to be common anymore.

> >> on FreeBSD 8 you would have something like this in your kernel
> >> configuration:    # ATA and ATAPI devices
>
> You seem to be using 8.* while I am on 10-current (info provided in my
> signature). Unfortunately there are a number of important hardware driver
> changes between 8-9-10.

This is correct. The old ATAPI infrastructure (acd, acdXtY) has
been deprecated.

> these are the only options allowed:
> # ATA controllers
> device		ahci		# AHCI-compatible SATA controllers
> device		ata		# Legacy ATA/SATA controllers
> # ATA/SCSI peripherals
> device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for ATA/SCSI)
> device		ch		# SCSI media changers
> device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
> device		sa		# Sequential Access (tape etc)
> device		cd		# CD
> device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct ATA/SCSI access)
> device		ses		# Enclosure Services (SES and SAF-TE)
> #device		ctl		# CAM Target Layer
>
> In GENERIC, 'option  ctl' is disabled because pulling in any one of the
> da/cd/pass etc also enables/calls ctl.
> For the same reason, '# atacontrol list ' =>
> ATA_CAM option is enabled in kernel. Please use camcontrol instead.

So this tool is also deprecated, and I assume it has taken
cdcontrol and maybe even burncd with it.

> $ ll /dev/cam =>
> crw-------  1 root  operator  0x3f Apr 16 19:36 ctl
> So it seems, after playing around that 'acd_' is deprecated in 10.

True, it is.

> As to why /dev/cd0 does not show up in Brasero, it is probably related to my
> other thread on user-level permissions.

I highly assume this is the case, because specific permissions have
to be granted. Also check if this Gnome program requires additional
fiddling with DBUS or HAL (or something similarly deprecated), or
with specific groups your username has to be a member of.

> Since my user cannot mount the cd0,
> brasero has not enabled access to it (problem valid for all GUI-based-apps
> unless root starts running a GUI)

It should not be _that_ drastic. When you are logged in with your
regular user account, and running X, open an X terminal and enter
the command "su -m", and confirm the password. Then start "brasero"
or any other GUI program you want to check from that command line.

The -m option will preserve your user's environment; see "man su"
for details. That could be worth a try (and a partial "solution").

Anyway, check the permissions. What you're attempting _is_ possible.
I've been able to do all this stuff as a regular user after proper
configuration (on a v4, v5 and v7 system).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany