Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:36:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        G V <gvazz@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nfs readdir/readdirplus buffer size

Girish wrote:
> =C2=A0 I would like to know what is the buffer size passed by the client
> =C2=A0 as an argument in the readdir/readdirplus
> request. Is it based on dtpref setting on the server? OR is it=C2=A0 a
> fixed value.
>=20
> =C2=A0I am changing dtpref value on the Solaris and I would like to know
> =C2=A0how freebsd client would read that.
>=20
I'm afraid I don't have time to look at the code right now, so this
might not be 100% accurate (and might be different for the old client):
- the size readdir uses is
  - capped at MAXBSIZE (64K)
  - capped at the min(rsize,readdirsize) if specified as mount arguments
  - capped at dtmax as specified by the server
--> I can't remember how dtpref is used. You'll need to look at the sources
   (or just try it and look at a packet trace in wireshark) to figure that
    one out.

rick