Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 03:45:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and /

 > Luoqi Chen writes:
 >  > > Hi,
 >  > >
 >  > > I had some (hardware related) crashes lately and noticed that
 >  > > softupdates arenīt enabled if the filesystem was unclean. So after a
 >  > > crash I had to boot twice to re-enable softupdates on / again (no need
 >  > > to run tunefs though).
 >  > > Is this because soft updates are no mount option and so cannot be
 >  > > enabled later and soft updates arenīt enabled on an unclean fs for
 >  > > safety reasons?
 >  > > Or is this just a bug?
 >  > >
 >  > > Daniel
 >  > >
 >  > I believe this is a bug. After fsck fixes inconsistencies on the disk,
 >  > it will remount / with MNT_RELOAD flag to update the in-core superblock
 >  > image. For some reason, fsck might change fs_ronly flag in superblock
 >  > (to be more precise, it will change fs_ronly iff it has fixed the free
 >  > block count -- could any more knowledgeable person tell me why it is
 >  > doing that?!), and because of that, all the code to be called during
 >  > ro->rw update is bypassed, including enabling of softupdate.
F'upd my own mail.

I just forgot to mention:
At least 2 times, after a crash, the root fs was noted "clean" during the
reboot (but not my other UFS partition) and no fsck required (and now of
course with soft updates enabled). I didn't trust the information (does the
superblock gets updated while being mounted or does it have a "stable" flag
similar to Sun's UFS?)After rebooting again in single user mode and doing a
forced fsck of / an error was indeed found ("LINK COUNT INCREASING").
Probably it wasn't more because the system was almost idle while it crashed.

Daniel