Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 12:16:37 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD support inc.

> > I think Cygnus is an interesting parallel here.
> >
> > I think that if Julian wants to do it, he should be most welcome indeed.
>
> You miss my entire point.  The question is not so much whether or not
> it should be done, the question is whether it will be done in such a
> way so as to actually succeed.  If you think it's an easy problem then
> I urge you think about it another 10 or 20 times.
>
> An organization that collapses, leaving its customers stranded, would
> be far worse than no organization at all.

I'm pretty confident that Julian knows what he's doing.

I don't think he expects it to be particular easy, and I anticipate
that he will not promise more than he can bite off, if I know him right.

If anybody were to head this, Julian would be my first choice.

Jordan, we also have to be careful not to try to "censor" ventures
based on FreeBSD.  (Now, there!  Take that!  The "C" word, used to
be good for a 3 week flamefest on Usenet :-)

The next thing would be to be worried that Rod sells some junky HW, and
that it would damage our reputation.

That would indeed be going down the very same slippery slope that made
Jolitz disappear from polite company.

If Julian sets up "WorldWide Virtual FreeBSD Support", I have no problems
with that.

If people engage in bussiness with him, they have the duty to examine
what they put their money into.  That is not our problem.

If Julian cannot carry the load:  too bad.

We may, and probably will, help him, merely because he's a nice buddy who
made us a nice SCSI system, but we are in no way responsible for keeping
him floating with his venture.

I think that the core team should encourage Julian, and help him as
we see fit each of us, and hope that he will succeed.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.