Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 12:48:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VESA/SMP problems again

> Quoth Mike Smith on Wed, 5 May:
> :
> : Insufficient content.  Please add more and try again.
>
> Insufficient for what purpose?  (Trying to understand what
> additional information you would like...)

In one place (one message), you need:

 - what hardware
 - what firmware
 - instructions to repeat the problem
 - accurate and exact descriptions of the symptoms, including
   transcripts of actual error messages

Do not use vague phrases like "it dies", "down to the BIOS", "smoke
comes out the back".

Do as much investigative work of your own as you can; understand that
there's a good chance that we're not going to be able to reproduce your
problem here.

In your case, you're going to want to bring the XFree86 folks in, as
it's the act of starting the server that actually kills your system;
the VESA call just puts the card into a particular mode, it doesn't do
anything after that.

> I've got a PR440FX dual running current (99.05.03) with an S3V
> (Trio64) and XFree96 3.3.something (XF86_S3V), with
> options		SMP
> options		APIC_IO
> options		NCPU=2
> options		NBUS=4
> options		NAPIC=1
> options		NINTR=24
> options 	VESA
> options 	VM86
>
> I'm going to be crashing the system later today anyhow, so I'll try
> DDB to get an backtrace at that time.

That'd definitely help too.  You may end up having to single-step
through the X server to find out where it kills your system.