Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:42:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym driver 0.3.0

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Kevin Street wrote:

> Is it cam or the ncr driver which reduces the tags to the correct value?
> It would definitely be useful if the sym driver could dynamically
> reduce the tags for devices that can't handle 64 openings.

This had been a misunderstanding from me that is fixed in SYM.0.4.0. I
have uploaded the patch yesterday. The problem appears to me when
rereading the source code. There were no risk for your data.
=20
> The only other parameters that are different are the Read/Write Retry
> Counts.  They start at 34/28 on the ncr and are increased to 75 when
> the dump runs.  The sym driver has them set to 75 at boot, so these
> end up being the same.

Basically, given slow devices and comparable configurations, no
significant differences in performances should be observed between the sym
and the ncr driver.

By the way, I am much more interested in robustness and reliability
testings that ncr .vs. sym benchmarks. I have no doubts about the
performances of the sym driver that are guaranteed by design and are known
for the linux sym53c8xx driver that is based on the same design regarding
performances issues.=20

About benchmarks, comparisons with other HAs from other vendors will be
welcome, especially using high end hard disks and Adaptec equivalent
adapters.

The README.sym file contains a summary of the sym driver features.
Performances is probably the one people on this list are most interested
in, but some others as the support the all NVRAM formats is a major
feature for end-users and extremely user-friendly.

You may also consider that the sym driver supports _full_ SPI2 minus
linked commands (that IIRC are obsoleted by SPI3), which is pretty rare on
the planet (some SPI2 features are still to be tested).

> Thanks for the help.

Thanks to you, too.

G=E9rard.