Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:49:24 +0100
From:      Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        Nikola Le?i? <nikola.lecic@anthesphoria.net>, FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TeTeX and TeXLive

 Le 14/12/2007 à 08:58:45+0100, Christian Walther a écrit
> Hi,
>
> On 14/12/2007, Nikola Le?i? <nikola.lecic@anthesphoria.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:24:09 +0100
> > Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm just want known if there are any plan to replace teTeX ports (the
> > > project as stop) by TeXLive ?
> > >
> > > I've send long time ago a mail to teTeX maintainer and I don't have
> > > any answer.
> >
> > "Me too."
> >
> > I must add that I tried two times to contact two FreeBSD developers who
> > (according to the public sources) seemed to be interested in this;
> > never got a single word of reply. Having in mind that I offered a help,
> > some experience and maintaining/testing availability, I can't
> > understand this. It's very discouraging.
>
> Some time ago I asked which TeX-Port would be the best, LaTeX oder
> teTeX. People here on this list recommended teTeX.

I think there are some misunderstanding. teTeX is a distrubition,
latex is a command.

tex, latex, pdftex, pdflatex, etc.... is set of command and all of this
command need many files (~15000 files).

If you like it's like a Linux, gcc is part of Linux, but gcc is not Linux.
And the are many linux distribution (Debian, Fedora etc..).

But actually there only one distribution and it's TexLive. The teTeX
project is ended by the author.

And as like a Linux distribution you can use it event it's not up2date, but
after sometime, depend the speed of the evolution, you need a new
distribution.

tex/latex don't evolve very fast, that's not mean it's never change.

Actually I think it's not a problem to use teTeX. But IMHO it's the best
interest of all FreeBSD user to have soon TexLive instead teTeX

> TeXLive came up, too, and AFAIK there is work being done to include it
> in the ports system. But TeXLive is a distribution that contains loads
> of stuff that isn't needed with FreeBSD, and some parts don't fir into

don't needed by you....but maybe needed by some others.

> a FreeBSD system. So there's lots of work to be done and TeXLive can't
> be expected anytime soon.

Of course it's what I want to say. There's lots of work and teTeX is ended
in may 2006.

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH