Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:02:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer)
Cc:        adam@whizkidtech.net (G. Adam Stanislav), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman now claims authorship of Linux

> > Makes me wish we did not rely on the GNU C compiler so much: Next RMS
> > will call himself a principal FreeBSD developer!
>
> I believe he did do a lot of work on the C compiler, so he has
> contributed a lot to FreeBSD. As for using another C compiler - did
> any of the other free compilers survive to this era sans the GPL?

TenDRA.  No one has really adopted it though.  FreeBSD uses a number
of gcc-isms, including:

	foo( int x)
	{
		char fum[ x];

It is also heavily dependent on linker sets for much of its
inherent modularity.  Any C++ capable linker that permits
automatic construction of pure virtual base classes should be
capable of the same sort of thing, so long as the compiler
permits escape to assembly.  The real technology is in the
linker itself, so using the GNU linker would be an option, if
the Compaq linker couldn't provide a similar feature directly
because it handles static class declaration differently than
GNU LD.

Intel has been talking about domating their compiler.  It makes
sense, from the standapoint of producing code that runs most
efficiently on their processors, unless other processor
manufacturers do the same thing.

The Compaq OSF compiler is available in -ports.  A FreeBSD kernel
built with that compiler for the Alpha would probably be signifcantly
faster than one built with GNU tools.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---