Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 23:36:06 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>, freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hosting my own domain.

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 07:32:21AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com> types:
> > A month or so ago I read in comp.risks a message from a guy, who had a
> > home computer that was the primary DNS server for his domain.  So he
> > wrote a message to some popular moderated mailing list.  He claims
> > that once the moderator approved his message, and it started to go out
> > to all the subscribers, their mail servers started resolving his domain
> > name (which wasn't in anybody's cache), to the point that his Pentium
> > (or whatever) computer could not handle it and crashed a few times.

Is this meant to imply not powerful enough?
Someone had better remind me not to buy a pentium :-)

> > Would anybody care to comment on this?  Anyone running their own
> > primary DNS off a home computer on a cable modem/DSL line?
>
> I've done that, but I set things up so that I didn't get any DNS
> queries over the DSL line. My ISP ran secondaries from my primary, and
> I only listed my ISPs dns servers with the NIC.

Hmmm *shrug* I've done nothing special here with a similar setup,
except that I'm running DNS for a few domains and sending mail out
from users here to about 60-70 mailing lists. The machine has never
been deluged by DNS requests in over 3 years of operation, even when
adding new domains. Maybe whatever happened to him could not happen
to me? Luck? Or maybe it was the robustness of my hardware? No crummy
little pentium, this was a 386 with a whopping 8MB RAM, a 28.8 modem
and a 100 decibel SCSI, decommissioned only two weeks ago with a
senile cmos. Of course YMMV.

It often amazes me that people who use a good OS expect so little of
their computers. There are dangers on the 'net now that didn't exist
ten years ago (which could be this bloke's problem), but apart from
that we're basically doing the same things that we were doing back
then on 386s. These days we're demanding excess power to throw at
every job, instead of using our own tools and talents to coax out the
machine's full natural beauty of performance. I used to think that's
what using unix was all about.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-