Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:40:48 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI on Sony VAIO z505s on fresh -CURRENT

In message <15235.48758.507768.521959@vbook.express.ru>, "Vladimir B. Grebensch
ikov" さんいわく:

>acpidump - dumps a lot of information
>
>But there are some problems with using acpi:
>
>1st: it seems that acpi not emulates apm interface (/dev/{apm,apmctl}) so
>     apm-based utilites don't work (apmd, zzz, monitors and so)
>
>     Is it planned to have apm interface through acpi or not ?
>     If I compile both in kernel - apm code not works.

At least I don't have plan to imprement apmctl.There is more appropreate
way: kqueue. That is undergoing project. Imprementing ome apm-compatible
interface may be good thing.

>2nd: Where I can get more info about acpimodes, from man acpiconf(8):
>          -s type
>             Enters the specified sleep mode.  Recognized types are 1, 2, 3,
>             4, and 5.
>     in man acpiconf(8) there are no mention about mode "4b "
>     I have tried some:
>        1,2 - do nothing
>	5   - turn off machine without proper shutdown
>
>3rd: I have tried couple utilites from http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/acpi/
>      batt.c    - works after patching, but if no battary present on laptop
>                  shows 1 battary with unrealistic numbers
>      health.c  - I can't make it work - it seems it lacks of defines in kerne

health.c will not work because Thermal zone driver has no ioctl
interface for now.
But there is sysctl interface instead.

>      May be there are some other utilites for acpi ?

User interface of ACPI itself is not so fixed.

Takanori Watanabe
Public Key</a>
Key fingerprint =  2C 51 E2 78 2C E1 C5 2D  0F F1 20 A3 11 3A 62 2A