Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:37:51 +0600 (YEKST)
From:      Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: md's oddity

Salut, Mike Meyer !

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Ilia E. Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su> types:
> > Salut, Mike Meyer !
> > On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su> types:
> > > Check the md man page. It notes that md disks are "severely limited in
> > so, why does it hang ?
>
> Because it's buggy. You should be getting an ENOSPC error.

I'm not getting any error. "cp" process is in "MD sec" state.
system is hanging. that's it.

well, problem is very and very simple.
I need just memory disk. 150, 200Mb. no matter what.

> > and why 20Mb limit is so magic ?
>
> Because that's the bucket size that the VM system decides is write for
> your hardware configuration.

Today I did put 40Mb on it. It was different computer, 256Mb of RAM.
After that it hung. The same behaviour.

> > > size". To get overcome those limits, you'll have to either use mfs, or
> > > a pre-loaded md disk.
> > it is said that md is to replace mfs, isn't it ?
>
> Yes. It's also going to replace vn. It's a new version that combines
> the functionality of all three of them. I don't know what, if any,
> limits it has if you want the disk to not be able to be paged out.

CURRENT branch ? or STABLE ?

> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.

Regards, (Наилучшие пожелания)
Ilia Chipitsine (Илья Шипицин)