Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:45:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        ecmsl Last Name <ecmsl@my-deja.com>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: digital camera advice ?

olympus camedia d-360L ( or current rev thereof ) us$250 new last year

smart media, hi resolution, good features. uses a serial port or an analog
video port.

serial is good because it works with anything, but it's obivously pretty
slow when compared to usb.....

lots of camera sw supports it.

newer ones might have usb support.

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> ecmsl Last Name <ecmsl@my-deja.com> types:
> > Before buying a digital camera, I must choose one that is fully
> > supported on FreeBSD. Lack of USB drivers often sux. All the slots
> > are full: I can't add a video capture card. I don't need very high
> > resolution for large prints, but only 800x600 (good pictures without
> > too much noise) for web pages and a few postcard-sized  prints.
> > If someone has a cheap digital camera working on FreeBSD, thanks for
> > advice.
>
> This question comes up fairly often on -questions. The best solution
> seems to be buying a camera that uses compact flash, then get a
> supported USB CF reader. That completely avoids the problem of support
> for the camera, allowing you a wider choice of cameras.
>
> Personally, I like Olympus cameras, which use smart media cards. There
> are supported readers for that as well, but they tend to be a bit more
> expensive than the CF readers.
>
> In both cases - or if you want to connect the camera directly - you
> can find lists of things that are known to work with FreeBSD in the
> -questions archives.
>
> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life