Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 1994 11:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, ache@freefall.cdrom.com, adam@freefall.cdrom.com, alm@freefall.cdrom.com, ats@freefall.cdrom.com, bde@freefall.cdrom.com, csgr@freefall.cdrom.com, cvs-games@freefall.cdrom.com, davidg@freefall.cdrom.com, dfr@freefall.cdrom.com, dyson@freefall.cdrom.com, gclarkii@freefall.cdrom.com, guido@freefall.cdrom.com, hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, joerg@freefall.cdrom.com, julian@freefall.cdrom.com, jvh@freefall.cdrom.com, karl@freefall.cdrom.com, martin@freefall.cdrom.com, nate@freefall.cdrom.com, paul@freefall.cdrom.com, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, proven@freefall.cdrom.com, pst@freefall.cdrom.com, rgrimes@freefall.cdrom.com, rich@freefall.cdrom.com, se@freefall.cdrom.com, sean@freefall.cdrom.com, sef@freefall.cdrom.com, smace@freefall.cdrom.com, sos@freefall.cdrom.com, torstenb@freefall.cdrom.com, wollman@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/games/x11 Makefile

> In message <199409091724.KAA11750@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" write
> s:
> >Now WHO submitted it?  And who reviewed it?  Can we slow down a little and
> >be more carefull.  Quite a bit of my time last night was spent cleaning up
> >behind others :-(.
>
> >I am NOT meaning this directed towards you Jordan, it applies to many of
> >the commit access people.  [Even I blew a few of the submit/review lines
> >last night.
>
> Right - can I be clear about this point please?

I will try to clear the evedintally very muddy water :-).

> If I make a trivial bug fix,
> I nuke both the 'Submitted by:' and 'Reviewed By:' lines.

Right.  Since in this case you are the submitter, and we hope you reviewed
your own trivial fix before commiting by doing some kind of test.

> If I make
> a non-trivial change to the system, I get someone else to check it
> over first, then put their (freefall e-mail addr?) in the Reviewed By: line?

Yes, or there name if they are not a freefall user.  Say for instance I
find bug garp in vi, I hack away at it, find the problem, come up with what
I think to be a good patch.  I take that patch and send it to say, well..
Keith Bostic.  He looks it over, says, yea, right, thanks for the fix.  You
now put Keith Bostic on the reviewed by line.  The reviewed by line does NOT
have to even be a FreeBSD developer or commit person.  It can be anyone who
has a reasonable knowledge of the code being dealt with.
> If someone asks me (unlikely, but possible) to make a change, I put their
> e-mail addr & name on the 'Submitted By:' line?
Yes!

> Do I also add my addr to  the Reviewed By: line (assuming I did the
> sensible thing and checked it before doing a cvs commit)?

No, the action of committing someone elses work tells me that you are the
person who did the review.  And this is important, often a patch or change
will be posted by a user to one of our lists, the patch may or maynot be
complete or even the correct thing to do.  Take for instance my recent
commit of the libg++ fixes.  I looked them over, they do indead fix the
symptoms of the problem, but they go about it by modifing a file that
is clearly labeled do not modify this file as it is computer generated.

I noted this fact in the commit message, in the file I wrongly modified,
and made a plea for someone with more time and g++ expertise to go fix
it the right way.

IMHO I did a pretty complete job of looking the patch over, and pointing
to the correct way to fix it, and made things work until we can fix it.

Note that even with out my balking about the change to the file even the
change that was submitted was not quite right, and I fixed that before
the commit (FYI, the #include was OUTSIDE the #ifdef omnipotenet protection
and it should really be inside it, a very minor nit).

> Gary (a cvs newbie)
We where all in that state at one time or another :-).