Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:09:48 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I/O semantics of pipe and FIFO.

Problem we had found was:

Executing dd with a closed stdout and stderr would cause the summary =
messages printed at the end to go into the destination output file.

For example,

dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/tmp/foo bs=3D1m count=3D1

Works fine, but the following:

dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/tmp/foo bs=3D1m count=3D1 >&- 2>&-

Will cause the summary statistics of dd to appear in /tmp/foo instead of =
on the console.

The issue is that the summary statistics are send to fd1, which if you =
close down stdout and stdin, fd1 is actually the output file since it =
got the lowest file descriptor available when open(2) was called on the =
output file.

This was never fixed because it was deemed =93silly developer, don=92t =
close stdout and stderr before invoking dd=94.

The argument has been made by Jilles T. that it is generally a bad idea =
to close down any of the standard file descriptors because it cannot be =
predicted how a particular UNIX utility will react (e.g., in the case of =
dd, causing a simple printf(3) to go to an unexpected location).
=97=20
Devin

> On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:12 PM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Devin and I found this when we worked together.  I think it was due to =
some situation in dd(1) where short reads would exit pre-maturely, =
however I may be mis-remembering.  Devin, do you recall the specifics?