Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 13:09:48 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>, nick@foobar.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem reports closed by Poul-Henning Kamp [was: Re: misc/6712]

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >       I think the commentary is more along the lines of there being a problem
> >with a PR being closed at all just because it's fixed in -Current. I
> >have suggested that there be a new state for PR's that have been fixed
> >in -Current and awaiting a commit to -Stable.
>
> Only if a crew of dedicated committers, commit themselves to keeping
> this new state empty on a continuing basis does this proposal have
> any merit.

	I agree to a certain extent. However I also tend to agree with some
others who have suggested that you're closing way too many PR's that
contain valuable info just because they haven't been looked at in a
while. There are plenty of people who go looking for something to fix on
a sporadic basis, it would be nice if we had a list of things to point
them to.

	I wholeheartedly believe in closing things that HAVE been fixed, or
closing things that have no relevance to the current state of the code.
In fact I believe in that so strongly that I personally sent several
hundred letters to PR originators during the 2.2.6-Beta period asking
them to follow up on their PR. In response I got more than a dozen
letters telling me how much the originator appreciated the followup, and
Steve closed several dozen PR's due to the problem being fixed or the
e-mail address of the originator no longer being valid.

	My point is that there are others who *are* working on the PR problem
who have different opinions on how they should be dealt with, Poul. Just
because you don't see and/or agree with those efforts don't assume that
they don't exist.

> Any proposal containing the concept of ``then >somebody< should''
> will not fly unless >somebody< steps forward and does the work,
> (NB: "does the work" not "says he'll do the work" !)

	If I had commit privileges I would be more than happy to "do the work."
I'm sure there are others more qualified than I who would gladly do the
same. However I have to say that I have been finding things awful
discouraging lately. I get really tired of having to nag and complain to
get people who are supposed to be working for the betterment of the
project to actually DO things that help the project overall.

Doug (who is grumpier than usual and therefore less likely to filter his
thoughts)
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest