Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:00:44 -0700
From:      "Jeff Mohler" <speedtoys.racing@gmail.com>
To:        "Mike Sweetser - Adhost" <mikesw@adhost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best SCSI or SAS RAID for a NAS?

Tell us what your workload IS..that will help a lot.

Its not necessarily MB/sec, but disk IO's per second.

Such as..if you have 5 servers with applications creating 100 IOPS on the
local drive, then you need a RAID array capable of at least 500 IOPS at
under 20ms to remain happy with it.

You can expect up to 180 IOPS under 20ms on 15k drives, and 100-120 on 10k
drives (or thereabouts) to also remain under 20ms per random IO.

Notably, the overhead of the raid layout will factor into this as well.

Tell us what your load will be, then you can get reasonable configuration
guidelines.