Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:39:18 +0000
From:      Dan Van Pelt <Dan.VanPelt@wwu.edu>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Cc:        richo <richo@psych0tik.net>, "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SSL is broken on FreeBSD

On Apr 4, 2011, at 7:39 PM, "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@bimajority.org> wrot=
e:

> <<On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:05:47 +1000, richo <richo@psych0tik.net> said:
>=20
>> On 05/04/11 06:57 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> It has occurred to me that maybe the FreeBSD SO should create a root
>>> cert and distribute that with FreeBSD.  That certificate would at
>>> least have the same trust level as FreeBSD.
>>>=20
>>> --=20
>>> Peter Jeremy
>=20
>> But what would that CA trust?
>=20
> The certificates he also generates for services like freebsd-update
> and portsnap.  And probably also a certificate for use in email to the
> security-officer role, so that those benighted people who only have
> access to S/MIME email can still send him private messages.  Ideally
> it would also be used to sign the CHECKSUMS files on the FTP site, so
> that the installer could check whether it was talking to an authentic
> mirror site and ask the user what to do.
>=20

Not ideally, but rather critically, should the CHECKSUMS files be signed wi=
th some well guarded and official public key.  Not to sound paranoid or any=
thing...

I would welcome having a 'FreeBSD' root certificate ship with the OS but wo=
uld leave the other certs to the domain of a port that I install when neede=
d.  FWIW (and forgive me if this is already the case) it would be nice to h=
ave a port equivalent to security/ca_root_nss that would allow the user to =
select which certs get installed during configuration.

Cheers,
Dan van Pelt