Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 1995 19:44:29 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, fbsd@clem.systemsix.com
Subject:   Re: Sounds cards -- take 2

>> It only accepts IRQ 2 3 4 or 5. I have all of these in use.

The 'lack of available INTerrupts' problem can be solved by
stealing one from the high half of the bus.  One method I
have used in the past is to solder a wire to an unused
high-side INT pin on a neighboring board and bring the wire
across to the INT jumper on the 8-bit card.  Another option
is to find an unused 16-bit board (junk pile of local surplus
house?) and cut off the high-half fingers with enough room
for attaching wires.  Plug this in the same slot as the
8-bit card and jumper as above.  I once found some nice
edge-card plugs that fit right into the C/D slot, with single
level .025 posts to accept jumpers, this made for a solution
that the hardware guys didn't even laugh at...

	You might have to hack some code, oftentimes a driver
won't accept the fact that it can use a high-side INTerrupt.

	With any of these methods, be CAREFULL, a short can
destroy a motherboard!  Don't attempt unless you are
comfortable with the idea.