Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:52:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Robinson <james@hermes.cybernetics.net>
To:        antwerp@whisker.hubbard.ie
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do you want some help with the FreeBSD docs?

Sure -- we'd love your help!

John Fieber is more or less our boss dude (slavedriver that he is :), but
has been absent for the past little while -- whassup John?

In the mean time, assuming you have WWW access, the doc project's home
plate is at http://www.freebsd.org/How/faq-new/ . From there, you can
read the pieces that have been put together so far (I really like Wilko's
SCSI document -- great!). We use a variant of the Linux DTD layered on
top of SGML to do the documents -- anyone know where John's latest
package containing his updated scripts / DTD is? let me know and I'll add
a pointer to it in the faq-new page.

Anyway, the latest and greatest version is the Feb 10 snapshot. You can
find it and all of the associated release notes at
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.0-950210-SNAP/

The INSTALL document is the main thing to help people get the system up,
along with the ultra-friendly install procedures themselves (I'm not
being sarcastic there -- it really tries to hold your hand, IMO).

Due to the current flack we've been getting as of late, I'd say that
we really need a toned down intro to installation in SGML -- number
3 on the Tutorials list. I'll jot some notes down and try and get
something going with it.

Lastly -- anyone know the release timeline for 2.1? Isn't it about time
for a call to arms on this doc stuff, else we miss the window for
the CD press? What about making sure that there are clients to
read the docs with the install -- lynx, Mosaic, or something like
that? I'll write PHK about this.

Oh well -- what a jumbled letter.

Thanks for volenteering!

James

: James Robinson :   james@hermes.cybernetics.net ::See the screaming hot black
:FreeBSD|XFree86 :The best things in life are Free::     steaming iridescent
:  Frank Zappa   :      Music is the best         ::naughahyde python screaming
:  HTTP Server   : http://hermes.cybernetics.net/ ::        steam roller!