Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 14:34:38 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        frank@jplpio.jpl.nasa.gov (Frank O'Donnell)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Swap errors and majordomo

> majordomo.  Frequently these appear on the console as
> I'd hoped that 25 MB would be ample for swap (being a good
> bit more than 2 x amount of RAM).  Do we need to set an

Look how many sendmails are created from majordomo. I am sure
you can control that in either some majordomo setup files or
in the sendmail.cf file.
I suspect that your mailing list gets exploded at once and it
spawns twenty or thirty or even more sendmails to deliver the
message and that kills the machine.
How much swap do you need depends on the work you will put on the
machine and not on the amount of ram you have :-).
The 2x swap is only an idea if you don't know what will actually
happens on the machine.
I have now on some machines a 60Mb swap space because a certain
compiler grows over 40Mb in his booting steps ( Sather ).
But i have also lived for days with a 5Mb swap space on a 32Mb RAM
machine, because i have forgotten to mount my second swap space and
all was running well :-).

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe