Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 95 12:30:22 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        gaspar@STL-17SIMA.ARMY.MIL
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NE2000 clone board

> I finally gave up on my SyQuest drive and repartitioned my hard disk.
> I now have FreeBSD loaded.  I am having trouble with my network
> interface.  I have a ne2000 look-alike, and I set it up on ed1 (it
> did't seem right on ed0).  However, it doesn't work.  I am guessing
> that five is the wrong IRQ.  How can I get back in the network setup
> script to try other settings?  I ran sysinstall out of /stand, but
> that doesn't seem to get to the net install stuff.  Would I be better
> off switching to another card?  I have SMC Elite 16 ultras available.

Using the disk that came with the network card, or opening the box
and looking at the jumper sttings on the card, determine the actual
IRQ, I/O address, and memory range (if any) for the card.

Then boot your system by typing /kernel -c at the boot prompt and
modify the board settings.

The main problem here is that the proble can return true for partially
correct settings.

In reality, an NE2000 driver should INB to read the other settings
once the I/O port range is known (INB of IOBASE + 2 give IRQ, etc.).
beBecause the driver doesn't do this, you will have to determine the
card settings in their entirety.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---