Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 13:34:17 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 80387 hangs system at divide by zero

J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

> The image is kept small enough to fit on a 1.2 MB disk, but it can be
> placed as well on a 1.44 MB disk -- this way, we satisfy both camps.

That's what I figured - I know I've heard that said of both FreeBSD &
Linux boot disks.  Just wondering if it is possible for the boot disc to
be created in such a way as to make it not _always_ work on 1.44Mb drives.

I don't know the structure of the bytes on the disc, so I even tried this
(from Linux):

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0

before rawrite-ing the disc to make sure there was no stray garbage laying
around (a naive-i-don't-know-how-it-works kind of thing to do).  No
difference in bootability of the disc.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org