Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 12:30:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add mimic code?

> Let's split by category.  I'll take japanese (obviously :), I assume
> Jean-Marc can take care of print.  What about others?  I can take some
> more, but will wait for people to grab what they are interested in.

I'll take editors, lang, devel and games.

> That is, just rip out all the cookie stuff and the dependencies, and
> change the target name from "something" to "do-something".  My guess
> is that that should do it for 70% of the Makefiles.

I think so too - and the overall simplification we gain in those
Makefiles will make it a lot easier for others to understand and
improve them later.  This is a win.

> The remaining 25% need some things added to make it work with
> accordance to the new bsd.port.mk (like the fake-pkg stuff) but these
> need to be fixed anyway.
>
> The remaining 5% are print Makefiles so I'll let Jean-Marc worry about
> them. :)

Maybe you should just take the scary cases and let the ports-grunts
do ALL the easy ones?  This would seem to me to be a better division
of effort..

					Jordan