Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 14:30:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.mt.net>
Cc:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: benchmark hell..

> Actually, folks I have talked to have given me the exact opposite
> report.  And some people on the newsgroups have complained about the
> switch to ELF binaries since they are significantly slower than the
> original shlib implementation.
>
> I think our shlib implementatio is still probably slower than the ELF
> shlib stuff, but I suspect it's not much anymore.

And as I told H.J. Lu, one of the Linux shared lib developers, it's
not really fair to compare Linux/ELF to ANYTHING in the FreeBSD camp
until Linux/ELF is truly in wide circulation.  Since the Slackware
distribution currently leads the market in overall Linux users
(something like 60-70%), I'll be willing to talk about Linux and ELF
in the same breath when Slackware goes ELF, but not a moment before.

					Jordan