Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 18:48:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: bin/402: w -n doesnt work as advertised.

> > >    I modified w.c to attempt to figure out the ip address of the hosts
> > >    that were non-IP.  Because some folks might need an option to make w
> > >    not do any resolver lookups, I also added -l which mirrors the
> > >    the existing -n flag, and ensures no nameserver calls get executed.
> >
> >    Actually, I strongly dislike the 4.4 "w" doing nameserver lookups by
> > default. On any reasonable system that has > 20 users on it, it can take
> > anywhere from several seconds to several minutes for the w output to finish.
> > In my opinion, the default for w should be reverted back to the old behavior
> > of trusting what is in wtmp.
>
> Must be a slow nameserver?  Most local nameervers will cache all retrieved data
> for an hour to a day, given that the responses should 80% of the time come from
> your local nameserver.  I never have any problems with the lookups, w never
> takes even a second to run.

Try it on a box that has people coming in from behind firewalls, on freefall
we have several users whos DNS reverse lookup is hidden by one thing
or another and doing a ``w'' on freefall while one of them is logged in
is quite painful.

For machines that don't have such wide access you won't ever see this
problem, but it does exist.