Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 18:59:51 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tar --help

On Tue, 23 May 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I'm SURE we've had tar man-pages written before..

    We do:

TAR(1)                       UNIX Reference Manual                      TAR(1)

NAME
     tar - tape archiver; manipulate "tar" archive files

SYNOPSIS
     tar [[-]] [bundled-options] [[gnu-style-flags]] [tarfile] [blocksize]
     [exclude-file] [filenames] [-C directory-name]

[...]

HISTORY
     The tar format has a rich history, dating back to Sixth Edition UNIX.
     The current implementation of tar is the GNU implementation, which origi-
     nated as the public-domain tar written by John Gilmore.

AUTHORS
     A cast of thousands, including [as listed in the ChangeLog file in the
     source] John Gilmore (author of original public domain version), Jay Fen-
     lason (first GNU author), Joy Kendall, Jim Kingdon, David J. MacKenzie,
     Michael I Bushnell, Noah Friedman, and innumerable others who have con-
     tributed fixes and additions.

     Obtained by the FreeBSD group from the NetBSD 1.0 release.

[...]

 FreeBSD                         6 August 1994                               5

taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org