Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 17:01:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@news.iadfw.net>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net
Subject:   Re: Zip Drives

In reply:
> > > drives with the $20 100M cartridges.  I've been wondering how reliable they
> > > are, if they could be used for fairly easy backup of a FreeBSD system, and
> > > if anyone has had any problems interfacing them to FreeBSD (it's a SCSI
> > > peripheral, so I would tend to think it would look like any other
> > > removable drive).  Thanks in advance.
> > >

> > I made a deal with Justin Gibbs:  I lend him a zip drive, he works on
> > the driver I use (2842A) and tried to get it working.  I ordered one
> > from MicroWarehouse, they said they'd ship in days, then weeks, now they're
> > not sure.  I guess this is waiting on MicroWarehouse, unless someone knows
> > a SURE better supplier.  Thank Justin for the offer, I guess.
> >
> > BTW, it's supposed to go direct to Justin, I won't see it until
> > afterwards, but a Mac'ified friend of mine gave me a demo, and what a drive!
> > Imagine a FAST 100 meg floppy!  Access times quoted at 29 msec.
>
> I just called on these, they are avaliable to mass market (ie, OEM's) only
> at this time.  You are going to be waiting a while for it.
>

> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation Company                   Custom computers for FreeBSD

Are fujitsu-style 3.5" m-o drives compat with the aha0 driver?  Last I
remember, they were like 28ms, 128M, and in that price range...  I think
that Hard Drives International used to sell them [Insight?]...  To hell
with Bernouilli...  Smaller carts and longer retention with m-o...
Anyhow, they should be way cheaper by now [I think a few years ago it was
$999US, and included 5 disks]...

with the retention times involved, i personally think that high capacity,
cheap, m-o storage can easily replace tape..  not to mention transfer
rates and usable scratch-disk capability...  it would also make an ideal
bootable distribution media, kinda nice in cases where a cd would be
impractical..

Jim