Date:      Sat, 27 May 1995 17:45:51 +0400 (GMT+0400)
From:      Anthony Graphics <agl@mac.glas.apc.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 950412 hangs on ncr0 probing:

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 10:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rodney W. Grimes <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
> To: Anthony Graphics <agl@redline.ru>
> Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: 950412 hangs on ncr0 probing:
>
> There have been no changes to the ncr.c driver since the 0412 SNAP
> was made.
>

> > ncr0 <ncr 53c810 scsi> rev 2 int a irq 9 on pci0:1
> > reg 20: virtual=0xf4786000 physical=0xfbfff000 size=0x100
>
> Can you provide information about what devices are on your
> scsi bus?
>
> Have you tripple checked that you have only the two ends of the scsi
> bus terminated and nothing in the middle?
Look, what I have on the bus is just NCR itself and Quantum lightning
that used to work with aha1542 under 0412 before, so there nothing
like a terminated device in the middle.
I booted 2.0-RELEASE ok, but then I was unable to recompile 0412
under it (gcc-2.6.3 with -O0 was giving various signals trapped:
most often it was 11 sometimes 10 rarely 5)
Well, rerunning /usr/bin/make was helpful with times but I've
gotr stuck with vfs_func.c or something like that: no matter
how much I've re running make: signal 11 trapped.
Well I'm running the 0412-SNAP distribution, still under 0322
I have _the same problem_ as in the 0412 :-(
And I can't roll back to 2.0-RELEASE because kvm_make or something like
this coredumps (what is probably what should be expected but I was surprised
;-)
So, the kernel hangs on the ncr detection :-(
AGL