Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:41:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: A day in the life of wcarchive..

> Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I just thought some of you might be amused by the stats, especially
> > today's..  :-)
> >
> > Generate Daily FTP archive logs
> > 			Archive Stats, DAILY
> > Archive Name       Bytes Transfered    Files Transfered    % Bytes  %Files
> > ------------       ----------------    ----------------    -------  ------
> > .3/FreeBSD             9,731,392 K              37,870     36.2     27.3
>
> The full alpha is ~160M, so that's 60 full copies of it.

Another point that would be interesting:

What is the bandwidth of wcarchives' internet link? Is it a T1 link?
Don't know the bandwidth of a T1 (2Mbit/s?) but it would be interesting
to calculate the theoretical limit and see if the T1 link is saturated.
21 GB/d seems to me the theoretical throughput of a 2Mb link.
Then it would be interesting to know if the number of ftp users
is always in saturation (=500). If the latter is the case, the figures
only reflect the ratio of interest in the different 'products' wcarchive
is offering.
Just some thoughts.

> > P.S. If it's like this for an ALPHA, just imagine what 2.0.5R release
> > day will look like! :-)
>
> I'm trying to decide whether I dare offer a south australian mirror of it,
> or whether our upfeed will spew at me 8/  Going by this, I suspect the
> latter 8)
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
> ]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
> ]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[

 -Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950606 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-1995
0606 #0: Tue Jun  6 19:13:32 MET DST 1995    kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de
:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386