Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 95 11:39:48 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rashid@haven.ios.com (Rashid Karimov.)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5R - misterious lockups (--MARK--?)

> > > 	After the joy of working QUOTAs in 205R came first
> > > 	problem:
> > > 	system periodically locks up under 25-30 users load
> > > 	in very weird way:
> >
> > Are you using quotas on more than one mounted FS?  I heard there were
> > problems with doing that.
>
> 	Yep !
> 	I have 'em on 5 FS'es - /var and 4 user partitions
>
> 	Any known cure ? Or at least the explanations where is
> 	the problem ( well, if there were one , it would have  been
> 	fixed IMHO :(
>
> 	I absolutely need QUOTAs - that's the user server :((
> 	 ~2.500 accounts

You need to find out if that is indeed the problem by setting up a test
case of only one mounted file system with quotas on.

>From looking at the quota code, it looks like it may not take the
dev_t field into accoun when computing quotas, which means that it
doesn't use the right mount record to locate the quota file.  So
it locks entrancy across file systems, but doesn't compute transitive
closure over the directed graph which is the set of locks held in
all file systems.

Really, it should per-fs lock to guarantee reentrancy.

Probably this is a 10-15 line fix in the quota code alone, if someone
spends the time working it out (I've just taken a quick pass through
the code that does vonde-based I/O that the quota stuff uses, and
I didn't see any obvious bugs).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---