Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 14:29:23 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, karl@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports and checksums (Re: Cloning systems)

(Maybe we should move this to ports....)

 * Well, maybe that was misleading:  what I *want* to be able to do is to load
 * up /usr/ports/distfiles on one box, build a bunch of ports over in
 * /usr/local/src/ports/*/*, and then walk /usr/local/src/ports around to a lot
 * of boxes and do "make install" or whatever and have things installed without
 * the ridiculous apparent need for the "make install" target to see
 * /usr/ports/distfiles and try to checksum the files!

If you really want to do this, "make NO_EXTRACT=yes reinstall" should
let you do what you want.  (There is no NO_CHECKSUM variable now, it
is piggybacked on NO_EXTRACT...I can add it if people want it though.)

What's wrong with building packages though?  It takes much less disk
space on the target machine.  If the port has NO_PACKAGE set, you can
override it with a "FORCE_PACKAGE=yes" from the command line -- even
if we can't build and distribute packages, the licensing problems
won't stop you from copying the files over as you wish.

Satoshi