Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 08:45:23 -0400
From:      wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT )
To:        amurai@spec.co.jp
Cc:        Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and demand start

>>>>> "Atsushi" == Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp> writes:

-Atsushi> Well.. I am getting into confusion world what you want do
-Atsushi> ;-)

No problem... sorry about being confusing...

-Atsushi> What do you mean "start on demand, and not hungup if in use"
-Atsushi> and "active connection"? If you mean "Just dial and make a
-Atsushi> connection whenever packet sending to peer and then never
-Atsushi> disconnect unless you did disconnect manually", the only way
-Atsushi> is using -auto(dial on demand) with "set timeout 0 0". In
-Atsushi> general case, they prefer to disconnect peer by
-Atsushi> any/paticular packet is NOT sending/receiving to peer period
-Atsushi> time with setting up various function filters..

What I'm looking for as not disconnect with an active ip session going.
Currently, it will disconnect after the timeout is up, even if you are
still connected to a remote host.  It would be better if the ppp program
didn't disconnect if there was an active session.  By active, I mean any
remote connection.  My unix box gets news at 2:00am, when I'm asleep.
I would like the ppp session to close 2 minutes after the news
gethering is done, so I would want to set the timeout to 120.  However,
it I do this, it will cut out my newsfeed after two minutes, since
no 'new' remote connections occurr from the startup time of the news
connection.  Is this more clear?

--
                           Virtually,
                           Edward Wolpert

-------------------------------  "The best way out is always
wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com |  through." - Robert Frost
wolpert@utk.edu                |
Truth is what you believe.     |  give you the world.' (tm)

Fnord.