Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 08:04:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: A problem with disklabel & "use entire disk" on 2.0.5R.

As Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> Well - the real story is that the installation assumed I didn't want
> the BIOS translated geometry (as translated by the Adaptec 1542B) - and
> I went through the entire install using the SCSI geometry... only to
> find the system wouldn't boot.
>
> I *had* to use the translated geometry to get anything to boot.

This comes up over and over again.  In Usenet.  In private mails/talks
i'm getting.  I'm not very happy that the slice code broke *many*
systems that used to run before with their dedicated disks.  IMHO, we
should have an option to disable the slice code in case somebody
wishes to use a disk dedicated to FreeBSD (perhaps even a non-bootable
disk, so the BIOS braindeadness is in no way a valid reason).  There
are many people like me that have "mental" problems with lying about
their disk geometry too much (i.e., forcing a gratuitous number like
63/31/...) when they know it (at least, partially) better, and the
disk is never to see anything else than (Free)BSD in this life.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/