Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 18:23:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      A boy and his worm gear <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        JOHN@gab.unt.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS+

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Joe Greco had to walk into
mine and say:

> > Any plans to support NIS+?

Plans? Sure, we got plenty of 'em. Code? That's another story.

> Speaking from secondhand knowledge, "most likely when hell freezes over" - as
> when we had asked Sun about NIS+ documentation, we were told that it was a
> "propietary protocol".  That suprised me, especially as we are a Solaris
> source licensee and OEM, but then again this was quite some time ago and this
> was around the time NIS+ was introduced.
>
> ... Joe

They're probably worried that someone will put together an implementation
of NIS+ that works better than theirs. The NYS project is supposed to
be working on an NIS+ implementation (covered by the GNU public virus,
unfortunately) but last I checked it was still far from finished.

(As an aside, there's a chance that the CTR will be getting its hands
on some Solaris 2.x source code before too long -- I got the approvals
in order but the agreement hasn't been signed yet -- and since I'm the
admin this means I'm going to have to put special effort into not letting
my eyes stray into the directories where it'll reside, lest I become
'contaminated' by its many horrors. Grrrr....)

That aside, you're all forgetting the fact that we can't even think about
NIS+ until we get secure RPC working. The Sun RPC distribution has code
in it for secure RPC, but it doesn work as shipped due to lack of DES
encryption. I toyed with the idea of trying to bring it up on my test
machine not to long ago, but then I got sidetracked with other NIS issues
and that work thing that keeps getting in my way while I'm trying
to enjoy myself.

Which reminds me: Bill Fenner, if you're listening and not totally
swamped by other things, I still haven't been able to duplicate the
problem you described in PR #510.

-Bill

--
-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager