Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 13:21:59 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        archie@bubba.tribe.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Viewing output of "tun" driver

    Archie> Then in one window I said:
    Archie> 	hexdump < /dev/tun0
    Archie> But then when I try to kill the "hexdump" process, I find
    Archie> that it's stuck in uninterruptable disk wait and simply
    Archie> cannot be killed (ie, even kill -9 doesn't work):

I think the kill signal will eventually be delivered if you can get
some new output to go along /dev/tun0, thereby getting hexdump out of
D-wait.  That is,

	kill <pid-of-hexdump>
	ping <some-ip-addr>

would make the hexdump go away.  Of course, so would rebooting, power
cycling, etc.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But
they forget the negative side, which is the preening.  -- Jack Handey