Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 1995 03:30:25 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        torstenb@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/security/pidentd/scripts configure

 *   Log:
 *   - upgrade to 2.6.1

People, I think it will be great if we can post a notice to USENET
when we do a new port or an upgrade.  I've been doing it for my ports
for a while.  Here's a template:

=======
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: New port: radio

A port of radio is now available.  You can get it from

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/audio/radio.tar.gz (source)
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/audio/radio-2.0.4.tgz (binary)

and the corresponding directories on mirror sites.

It enables you to send sounds from a radio over the network.  This
port was done by Janusz Kokot (JKOKOT@demeter.ipan.lublin.pl).

Satoshi

P.S. Note that the "source" above is actually the ports skeleton only;
     when you extract it on your machine (preferably into
     /usr/ports/audio) and type "make", it will automatically fetch the
     original source and builds the program.  Try "make fetch-list" if
     you are not IP connected to obtain a list of files you need to
     fetch.
=======

Obviously there are some things that have to change for upgrades.
When there is a "Submitted by:" line in the commit message, that
person's name should appear in the news message as well (like above).

Also, if the port is restricted, take away the packages line and add:

=======
Due to licensing limitations, there is no binary package available for
this port.
=======

If you are too busy or don't have access to news, drop me a note and
I'll post it for you.  It will be great if you can send me the message
you want me to post, but if you can't, I'll cough up something. :)

Let's make our presense known!

Satoshi