Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 07:47:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        davidg@root.com, root@kaiwan.kaiwan.com
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/688: Page fault: supervisor write, page not present

As David Greenman wrote:

>  >#4  0xf01920b7 in trap ()
>  >#5  0xf018b571 in calltrap ()
>  >#6  0xf0121831 in allocbuf ()
>
>     Would you mind additionally doing an 'nm /kernel | sort' and fishing out
>  the routines around the 0xf018679c? As you may have noticed above, our gdb
>  screws up the stack decoding at the point of the trap (the panic happend in a
>  routine that allocbuf() called, not in allocbuf. Someone really needs to fix
>  that.

Alternatively, adding a -g to the kernel Makefile, removing a few .o
files (including trap.o), should get you in a state where you are able
to say ``frame frame.tf_ebp frame.tf_eip'' from stack frame #4 (in
trap()), which will also spot you to the right location.

Look into the kernel-debug.FAQ for more explanation (even though the
version delivered with 2.0.5 contains bogus references on how to take
a core dump -- but you've got one, so don't care).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/