Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:34:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP FAQ, a quick hint for whoever is updating...

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> Just to pass along a useful result I've achieved maintaining a dialout
> SLIP link, for the use of whomever may be maintaining/updating the SLIP
> FAQ.
>
> So far, every solution I've seen for maintaining a SLIP link has involved
> kermit, which just doesn't get along at all well with SLIP lines.
>
> A much simpler, and easily as functional, approach is to make use of
> slattach's ability to detect carrier, and its redial-command feature.

	yet another method is to use startslip.  as in (from my 2.0R system):

startslip -I rimmer -F hw -s atdt703-418-8663 -b 57600 /dev/cua01

	this gives me hardware flow control, auto redial on connection
loss (up to 7 tries), 57600 bps serial to modem rate

	note the -I, i hacked into the startslip to talk to the
chase/iolan terminal server.  startslip handles annex terminal servers
without modifications.  (man startslip)

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346